How to Assist Poor Readers and the Importance of Early Intervention
Written by Julie M. Armenta, M.A., Educational & Family Specialist
Parents often ask what we can do with their children that have poor reading skills and have a hard time reading and comprehending what they read. There are many techniques and programs that Armenta Learning Academy can do to help your child and to get an early start and make a difference now.
Here are Some Astonishing Facts about Children with Poor Reading Skills:
1. 72% of students in remedial classes drop out of school.
2. 70 to 80% of people with poor reading skills are likely to be dyslexic and it is common for them to have language-based learning disabilities.
3. According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, 40% are below reading level by the age of 9.
4. 62% of non-readers dropped out of high school.
5. 80% of children with an IEP struggle for life in one subject in one way or another.
How Armenta Can Help
1. It is best to get a private assessment for your child's education. We will give you the benchmark of what your child issues, strengths, and weaknesses are.
2. We will give the parents guidance. We can help manage your child's IEP meetings, and offer strategies that will help guide you and your child in the right direction.
3. We are constantly thinking about new and innovative ways to encourage and actively participate with our students.
4. We create an environment that fosters questions, investigations, and independent thinking for successful outcomes. We create interest and engagement in the classroom to promote a child's autonomy, choice-making, and self-esteem.
5. We reinforce children's capabilities to build their resilience, confidence, and self-worth.
ALA Program Recommendation: Reading and Reading Comprehension and Test Taking Strategies to Help Your Child:
1. Read material aloud for auditory comprehension and discuss information.
2. Visual imagery/representation for memory, utilizing white boards for spatial learning.
3. Review material through discussion; 1:1 teacher directed activities for half the day.
4. Weekly pre-tests and post-tests to assure understanding.
5. Review of incorrect test answers; re-tests if necessary.
6. Taking notes, making study sheets or making flash cards of facts, dates, places, etc.
7. Assigning projects and hands-on work as more authentic assessments of the learning style and approach.
8. Building reading comprehension skills by breaking material components into smaller parts, by combining auditory learning strategies (reading aloud) with independent study assignments (homework, independent research, etc.).
9. We transition subjects and material every 45 minutes to an hour due to slower processing speed; work on hardest subjects first and take periodic breaks. We reinforce language arts, written and oral. Integrate language practice daily into all subjects.
10. Weekly communication with parent and weekly staff meetings to discuss academic goals and objectives for each child.
11. Daily documentations and records to track daily progress.
12. Weekly review of samples of work.
13. Monthly progress reports for updates and academic monitoring to assure weekly progress.
Early intervention and identification is crucial to assist your children immediately to overcome their learning difficulties and challenges. At ALA, we can assist readers at risk and provide a high-quality educational and reading program with specialized instruction for the best and quickest results. We are happy to work with your child and make a difference at an early stage and age. Please call today to get the help that your children need. We are at unique School and also offer educational programs part-time and full-time to get your children's reading skills up and back on track.
We offer school, tutoring, and all educational services, including accelerated studies, classes for credit, and remedial support. At ALA, we provide Academic & Enrichment Programs year-round for all learning needs including Special Needs and Gifted programs, Pre-K thru Adult, Onsite/Offsite, 7 days a week, with flexible scheduling. Your child finally gets the attention and expertise they need and deserve to be successful in school and in life! Call for support in all subjects in your home or at the Academy. We guarantee success!
- - -
Julie M. Armenta, MA Founder & Education & Family
28062 Forbes Road. #B
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Mrs. Armenta looks forward to working with your child on their academic journey, and having a successful school year. Armenta Learning Academy provides Academic & Enrichment Programs, Pre-K thru Adult, Onsite/Offsite, 7 days a week. Call for support in all subjects in your home or at the academy.