Culver House, first Bed
& Breakfast in the City of Orange
origins are rich with legends. One of the most
popular tales asserts that the city was named
during a poker game.
the city was established in 1871, founder Alfred
B. Chapman and Andrew Glassell named it Richland.
But since there was another Richland in California,
post office officials told them to find a different
legend has it, Chapman and Glassell discussed
the matter with two other civic leaders, but they
couldn't agree on a name. One wanted Orange, one
Lemon, one Almond and the other Olive. So they
had it out in a poker game, and Orange won.
people of Orange love to tell this story, but
there's no evidence it ever occurred this way. Regardless
of what really happened, the city was officially
dubbed Orange and incorporated over a century
ago on April 6, 1888.
the past 100 years, Orange grew from a thriving
agricultural center into a quaint but lively city.
In 1890, two years after incorporation, Orange
had just 866 residents. City planning estimates
now put Orange's population at over 132,000.
Victorian home in the City
Orange has been expanding its population and its
boundaries. Bordered by unincorporated land to
the east, the city has been growing by bits and
pieces every year.
SANTA ANA - Location: NW corner of Lincoln
Ave and Orange Olive Rd, Orange
Portolá camped on the bank of Santa Ana River
in 1769, and José Antonio Yorba, a member of the
expedition, later returned to Rancho Santiago
de Santa Ana. El Camino Real crossed the river
in this vicinity. The place was designated Santa
Ana by travelers and known by that name until
the present town of Santa Ana was founded.
of Orange's first building - Southwest corner
of Orange Plaza
site originally was the home and tract office
of Andrew Glassell, who planted orange trees in
front to entice people into buying farm lots he
was selling. The building no longer exists.
Submerged Dam - Santiago Oaks Regional Park,
2145 N. Winds Drive, Orange
is an engineering term for this type of dam. The
stone and cement structure was built in 1892 for