known as El Toro, Lake Forest is a city that respects
the natural environment. The abundance of green
parks, numerous trees and a beautiful lake are
evidence of this. Although Lake Forest is a new
City, having incorporated on December 20, 1991,
the Lake Forest area has a long history. Starting
out as an agricultural area like most of Orange
Toro" was a stagecoach stop between San Diego
and Los Angeles in the 1800s. After World War
II, the El Toro Marine Base has helped shape the
city's development - residential, commercial and
industrial growth began to replace the acres of
citrus and other agricultural products.
preserve its past, Lake forest established an
area of the city known as Heritage Hill. The first
of Orange County's historical parks, it is the
home of Serrano Adobe, built in the late 1880's
and known as the oldest structure in the area.
SERRANO ADOBE - Heritage Hill, Serrano Regional
Historic Village, NE corner Lake Forest Dr and
Cañada de los Alisos, also called El Toro, was
granted to José Serrano in 1842 by Governor Alvarado.
Senor Serrano and his relatives erected a number
of adobes on the grant, one of which still serves
as private living quarters.