California became Mexican territory in 1821 this
area, then known as Rancho Niguel, was formed
into one of the many rancheros in the area. Local
San Juan Capistrano resident, Juan Avila first
obtained this land through a Mexican land grant
in 1842, who then re-established his title to
the land after California's statehood. Juan Avila
retained ownership of the land until 1865.
was 1890 when wealthy land owner Lewis Moulton
purchased 8,000 acres called Niguel Ranch. Part
of that ranch was turned into Laguna Niguel.
built as a master planned community this fairly
new city became incorporated in 1989 as Orange
County's 29th city.