after the Spanish explorer, Vasco Nunez de Balboa,
this small island town has been a popular spot
for tourists and locals alike. You reach the island
by taking an old-fashioned ferry which runs day
& night between the island and the Balboa Peninsula.
Ballroom Site (historical marker #35)-
For 38 years, the sounds of dance music echoed
from the block-long ballroom, which was destroyed
by fire in 1966. The music and dancing have ended,
but the memories linger on....
Pavilion - 400 Main St, Balboa
This is one of California's last surviving examples
of the great waterfront recreational pavilions
from the turn of the century. Built in 1905 by
the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played
a prominent role in the development of Newport
Beach as a seaside recreation area. In 1906, it
became the southern terminus for the Pacific Electric
Railway connecting the beach with downtown Los
Angeles. The railway's Red Cars connected the
beach with Los Angeles in only one hour.
Balboa Fun Zone
Was built on Abbott's Landing in 1936 where Mr.
Abbott brought soil from the mainland and planted
the Peninsula's first trees. At one time, the
then miniature amusement park covered the entire
block between Palm Street and Washington Street.
The ferris wheel and the merry-go-round remain